University-wide academic policies

The university-wide academic policies appearing in this section apply to all undergraduate programs. Students are responsible for acquainting themselves with these policies and following them. In addition, some of the university's colleges and programs have additional policies that apply only to students enrolled in those particular programs. Students should consult the catalog section for their colleges and programs for policies specific to their programs.

General policies appear here; longer policies relating to academic terminology, academic standing, grievances and other topics have their own pages. 

Catalog year

A student's "catalog year" refers to the academic year in which a student entered the university. The catalog year determines the degree requirements for that student, based on the catalog at that time. At any time, a student may update his/her catalog year to the current catalog and degree program requirements by completing a Declaration/Change of Major form.

Class attendance

Instructors are required to submit attendance reports on non-attending students during the first two weeks of each semester. Although instructors set their own expectations for attendance, reporting of those not attending is required by the U.S. Department of Education. Students not attending class are then subject to action on their registrations, charges, and financial aid for the term.

Dean’s List

Undergraduate students who complete all coursework during a fall or spring semester and earn a grade point average of 3.75 or higher are placed on that term’s dean’s list in their colleges. Students must be registered for at least 6 credit hours and have no Incomplete (I) or Withdraw (W) grades for the semester to be eligible for that term’s dean’s list.  All courses must be completed within the semester.

Declaration/change of major

To change their majors, undergraduate students must complete a Declaration/Change of Major form, obtain the signature of an academic advisor and submit the form to the Office of the Registrar. A form must be completed for any of the following changes:

  • Changing a degree, major, minor, or concentration.
  • Adding an additional degree, major, minor, or concentration.
  • Removing a degree, major, minor, or concentration.

A student's official academic record will only reflect changes after the form has been submitted to the Office of the Registrar.

Academic Forgiveness Program

Undergraduate students who have been away from Roosevelt for more than three years may be able to take advantage of Roosevelt’s Academic Forgiveness program, which can be used only once during a student's academic career. 

Under this program, up to 30 credits with grades of D or F may be forgiven, or removed from calculation of the Roosevelt GPA. Excluded grades will remain on the academic transcript, but will be labeled as “Academic Forgiveness ”and will not count toward the total hours required for graduation. GPA will then be recalculated, and the student will be readmitted in good standing after approval of the completed Application for Academic Forgiveness . A student approved for Academic Forgiveness must complete all coursework with a grade of C or better in the first term at Roosevelt. Academic Forgiveness may not be available to all students in all degree programs. See the Undergraduate Academic Advising web page for more detail on procedures for Academic Forgiveness.

Grade point average

A regular student in good standing becomes a candidate for the degree upon completion of 120 credit hours of work with a grade point average of 2.0 or higher at Roosevelt University. Students are also responsible for checking the grade point average requirements of their majors.

Grade reports

Final grade reports are available to students in RU Access; no grade reports are mailed. The grade report includes credit hours completed, quality points and term and cumulative grade point averages. Academic standing also is indicated on the grade report..


The final 30 credit hours toward a student's degree must be completed at Roosevelt University. Students should also be aware that some majors have additional requirements for hours in the major that must be taken at Roosevelt.

Second bachelor's degree

Applicants who have received a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university in the United States are eligible for admission as second bachelor’s degree candidates. Applicants with international credentials that are the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree from a four-year accredited U.S. university (as determined by an evaluation agency approved by Roosevelt University) are also eligible for admission as second bachelor’s degree candidates.Official transcripts from each college previously attended are required, along with the admission application and fee.

A student earning a second bachelor's degree must have a minimum of 30 credit hours earned at Roosevelt University that have not been counted for any other degree. In all colleges, degree requirements in general may be met with transfer credit, Roosevelt University courses, or a combination of both. However, specific degree requirements differ from college to college, and students should consult with an advisor in Undergraduate Academic Advising or in their major field. Students with international credentials must consult with the appropriate college to discuss possible deficiencies in major or general education requirements.

Students with a bachelor’s degree from a four-year accredited U.S. university have met the University Writing Requirement and do not need to take the English portion of the Roosevelt University Assessment. However, if the degree being sought is related to areas such as science, math, business, or computer science, the student may be asked to take the mathematics portion of the RUA.


The transcript is the official academic record for a student at Roosevelt University. Official transcripts may be requested online from the Office of the Registrar. There is a fee for each transcript. Official transcripts are issued directly to institutions and employers. Students may also request a transcript marked “Issued to Student.” No transcript will be issued if the student owes the university money or has any other encumbrance. Information about the cost of transcripts and the procedure for ordering is available on the Transcripts website.

Transfer credit

See the university's Transfer Credit Policy for information on transfer of undergraduate-level coursework.