Music Performance – String/Wind/Brass Instruments, Harp, and Percussion, MM
Offered in: Chicago
The purpose of the Orchestral Instrument Performance Programs at CCPA is to prepare students for careers as solo, chamber, and ensemble performers, and to routinize in students the habits consistent with success in the professional environment. The graduate program's objectives are to:
- develop and refine technical and musical skills with study and performance of challenging and advanced repertory;
- provide ongoing ensemble performing experiences, with higher expectations for leadership in collaborative musical situations;
- prepare students for the rigorous demands of the music profession by teaching the discipline and self-motivation necessary to achieve excellence;
- introduce students to the traditions, operations, practices, and opportunities of the professional symphony orchestra;
- provide opportunities to investigate topics and repertories in advanced coursework.
Development of repertory and technique is assessed at juries, and at the recital presented in the fourth semester. The recital must include 60 minutes of music; the program is at the discretion of the major teacher in consultation with the area program head where applicable. Jury and recital requirements are published in the Music Conservatory Student Handbook.
Please consult the CCPA Admission and Audition Information webpage for audition requirements for orchestral instrumentalists.
The minimum passing grade in the major sequence (Applied Music 411-414 and the Graduate Recital) is B-.
|Applied Music 411-414 (major instrument I-IV)||16|
|Performance Class for program area (four semesters)||0|
|Large Instrumental Ensemble||4|
|MAS 401||STYLE AND LITERATURE||3|
|Music Academic Electives 1||9|
|PERF 423||ORCHESTRAL SEMINAR I||1|
|PERF 424||ORCHESTRAL SEMINAR II||1|
|PERF 499||GRAD COMPREHENSIVE REVIEW||0|
|Complete the applicable major specific requirements||4-6|
|Total Credit Hours||39-41|
Music academic electives will include a minimum of two MAS (Music Academic Studies) courses. Other 400-level courses in subject areas MCMP (Music Composition), MTA (Music Theory and Analysis), or MUHL (Music History and Literature) may be taken in fufillment of this requirement.
|Double Bass Only|
|PERF 435||ORCHESTRAL EXCERPTS - BASS (four semesters))||4|
|PERF 401||ADV STUDY/ PERF ORCH REP I||2|
|PERF 402||ADV STUDY/ PERF ORCH REP II||2|
|Violin, Viola, and Violoncello Only|
|Orchestral Excerpts (two semesters)||2|
|Violin, Viola, Violoncello, Winds, Brass, and Percussion Only|
|Chamber Music (four semesters)||4|