Course and credit information


Credit hours

Credit for academic work completed at Roosevelt University is earned in credit hours. Courses listed in the catalogs are 3 credit-hour courses unless otherwise noted. A 3-credit-hour class meets 2.5 clock hours per week for 15 weeks (2.5 hours x 15 weeks = 37.5 contact hours per term). Longer periods are required for one credit hour in laboratory courses and certain applied courses in art, drawing and music. Note that in the College of Pharmacy, the academic year consists of four terms, but credit is still awarded based on credit hours.

Course load

The standard course load for a full-time student is 9 to 15 credit hours of course work except in the EdD program, in which 6 credit hours is full-time. PsyD students who have already earned a master’s degree and who are taking 700-level courses may also be considered full-time taking 6 credit hours.

During the summer term, no more than 6 credit hours is standard. A student is considered part-time if enrolled in fewer than 9 credit hours in fall or spring term. For purposes of enrollment certification, a student must be enrolled in 6 credit hours in fall or spring to be considered half-time. No student is permitted to take more than 12 credit hours without the written consent of the dean of the college in which the student is enrolled. The university reserves the right to limit a student’s program when it is obvious that the student has enrolled for more work than he/she can handle successfully.

International student course loads

Students in F-1/J-1 status must be full time (per the course load definitions above) during the fall and spring terms. Summer attendance is not required.

Course numbering system

Graduate courses carry numbers at the 400 level or above. College of Education courses at the 500-600 level are for doctoral students only. College of Arts and Sciences courses at the 500 and 600 level are for psychology master’s and doctoral students only. College of Arts and Sciences courses at the 700 level are for psychology doctoral students only.

Individualized class sections

Individualized sections are sections that are created at the student's request for a specific purpose.  Graduate students, upon recommendation of the program chair and with the approval of the dean of their college, may be permitted to take individualized sections in order to pursue independent research or supervised readings.

Individualized sections are not listed in the schedule/Coursefinder online and may include theses, dissertations, project research, master’s degree projects, doctoral projects, internships, independent studies, and courses by arrangement. Only degree-seeking students are eligible to enroll in individualized sections or independent studies classes. Online registration is not available for an individualized section. See the Registrar’s webpage for more detail on procedures for registering for an individualized section.

Thesis, internship, practicum and dissertation

Some programs require an internship, thesis, practicum, or dissertation for degree completion. Registration must be approved by the graduate advisor and completed in the Office of the Registrar. A student who has not completed a thesis, internship, dissertation, or other final project by the end of the original term must maintain continued registration during fall and spring semesters until completion of the project. See the Registrar’s webpage for more detail on procedures for registering for an individualized section.

For master's students, except in the Chicago College of Performing Arts, students must register for the zero-credit course (course number followed by “Y”) to maintain continuous registration. Students in the Chicago College of Performing Arts must enroll for 1 hour of credit. Students who have not maintained continuous registration for thesis, dissertation, internship, or other final project courses will be required to register for all intervening fall and spring terms prior to graduation.

Transfer credit

Roosevelt accepts college-level credit from regionally accredited colleges and universities. Graduate Transfer Credit is evaluated by the individual department.

The Graduate Transfer Credit Approval Form, accessible on the Registrar website and must be filled out completely noting exactly how the course is to transfer: either as a direct equivalency to a Roosevelt course or as subject 4XX for a graduate course and 6XX for a doctoral course.

See the full Transfer Credit Policy on the university's web site for more detail, including limits on transfer hours.

Grading and grade options

Audit courses

Students may audit selected courses. Students auditing a course attend classes consistent with the instructor’s attendance policy and may participate in any or all course requirements and examinations. No academic credit is granted for the course, and the grade of audit (AU) is the only grade recorded. It cannot be changed to another grade at a later date.  See the Registrar’s web page for more information on procedures.


A student’s academic progress is indicated by grades A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D- or F in completed courses. The grade D is unacceptable towards graduate degree programs. Only two courses with grades of C may be counted toward completion of a graduate degree. Only one “C” grade may count toward completion of doctoral programs in the College of Arts and Sciences and the College of Education. The grade F indicates failure. Second examinations to raise final grades or to make up failures are not permitted. 

P/F (pass/fail)

See Pass/Fail Grade Option, below.

IP (in progress)

The grade IP (in progress) is given only for specific courses (such as independent study, thesis, dissertation, practicum, or internship) that may have a span two or more semesters.

I (incomplete)

A grade of Incomplete may be given only with the consent of the instructor and appropriate notification to the registrar. An Incomplete grade may be issued only in the situation in which a small portion of the total semester’s work needs to be completed (for example, the student must take a final examination, complete a paper, or similar requirements), when the student is academically able to complete the work, and when the student has presented a satisfactory rationale and a reason to the instructor for not completing the work within the deadline of the regular semester.

Students must complete the remaining course requirements by the date required by an instructor and reported in RU Access. A student may also be given an extension of an Incomplete due to extraordinary circumstances, such as, for example, when an instructor will not be available during the following semester to ensure that the work is completed. Under such circumstances, the instructor will submit an Extension of I Grade Request Form to the registrar’s office. The Incomplete grade will be removed when the instructor submits a letter grade within the above deadline. If no grade is submitted and no extension granted, the registrar will automatically convert the Incomplete grade on the deadline date to the default grade (B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D- or F) originally submitted by the faculty member.

W (withdrawal)

Students may withdraw from a course and receive a grade of “W” upon written request submitted to the registrar by the published deadline on the Registrar's Important Dates page. Approval by a financial aid counselor is also required if the student is receiving financial aid. Students should also inform their instructor of their intention to drop courses. After the published deadline, no grade of W will be permitted for academic reasons, and the student will be graded solely on academic performance at the end of the term. See the Registrar's web page for detail on withdrawals, refunds, and petitions for late withdrawal for non-academic reasons.

Pass/fail grade option

Graduate students may have the option to register for courses with a pass/fail grade option. The number of credit hours of such courses allowed to count toward a degree varies by program.  Some degree programs also have required courses that must be taken as pass/fail. Students should consult with a faculty advisor regarding pass/fail options pertaining to their particular degree program.

Repeated courses

Students may retake a course with a grade of C or lower. This requires written approval by the program’s director as well as the graduate dean. The form for this purpose must be submitted with the course selection worksheet at the time of registration. Students may repeat up to two courses for a maximum of seven credit hours to improve grades. Both grades of a repeated course remain on the academic record; however, only the course with the higher grade is used in computing the grade point average and counted toward degree completion. This policy does not entitle the student to a retroactive degree and does not change the historical recording of academic standing.

See the Registrar’s webpage for detail on procedures for repeating courses.

Information on repeated courses' eligibility for financial aid is available on the Financial Aid web pages. If the student repeats a course taken at another institution, only the credits earned at Roosevelt will be computed in the cumulative credits and grade point average.

Registration procedures

Cancelled classes

The university reserves the right to cancel classes. If a student is registered for a class that is cancelled, that student will be dropped automatically and will receive advising assistance in selecting an alternative course. If a suitable alternative course cannot be found, the student will receive a full tuition credit. Financial aid students should consult their counselors about implications for their aid.