Information Technology, BA
Offered in: Chicago
The Department of Computer Science and Information Technology offers three majors in Computer Science, Information Technology, and Data Analytics. Courses are also provided for computer literacy. All courses presented for the major and minor must be approved in accordance with approved curriculum check sheets and must be passed with a grade of C- or higher. A minimum of 15 credit hours of CST coursework must be completed at Roosevelt University.
Because of the rapidly changing nature of this field of study, computing courses taken more than eight years ago cannot be counted towards degree requirements unless the student has been continuously registered since the time the course was taken (excluding summers). A double major among any of the CST majors is not offered because of the aligned nature of these degree programs. For additional information, please view the Department of Computer Science and Information Technology website.
The Information Technology degree covers the tools, techniques and technologies of modern information, data, and computing infrastructure from office software to network design and infrastructure. Student have a significant ability to tailor the degree to fit their own interest and to create their own area of concentration. This degree prepares students for careers in information technology oversight, design and management, as well as enterprise applications, servers, and systems design, integration and management.
- Total of 41 hours in CST required for the BA in Information Technology.
- At least 15 credit hours of credit in the computer science major must be taken at Roosevelt.
- A grade of C- or higher is required for all courses in the major, with an overall GPA of at least 2.0
|CST 150||COMPUTER SCIENCE I||4|
|CST 246||DATA COMMUNICATIONS||3|
|CST 250||COMPUTER SCIENCE II||4|
|CST 270||SYSTEMS ANALYSIS AND DESIGN||3|
|CST 318||INTRODUCTION TO UNIX||3|
|CST 101||BEYOND PC ESSENTIALS||3|
|or CST 115||DIGITAL MEDIACRAFT, A&S|
|or CST 100||ESSENTIAL COMPUTER SKILLS|
|CST 352||NETWORK DESIGN||3|
|CST 333||DATABASE SYSTEMS||3|
|CST 368||INTERNET SECURITY||3|
|Two 200+ level CST courses||6|
|Two 300+ level CST courses||6|
|Optional Minor for the BA in Information Technology; Business, Economics, or Math are recommended|
|See the relevant section of the catalog for required courses for any chosen minor.|
|General Education, University Writing Requirement, and Electives|
|Courses to total 120||79|
|Total Credit Hours||120|
General Education Requirements
|Academic Communities of Practice|
|ACP 101||FIRST YEAR SEMINAR 1||3|
|ACP 110||PRIMARY TEXTS||3|
|ACP 250||GROUNDS FOR CHANGE||3|
|English Composition 2|
|ENG 101||COMPOSITION I: CRITICAL READING & WRITING||3|
|ENG 102||COMPOSITION II: INTRODUCTION TO ACADEMIC RESEARCH||3|
|Select 9 credits from the following subject areas: African-American Studies, Art History, English (excluding ENG 101 and ENG 102), History, Languages, Music, Philosophy, Theatre, Speech and Women's and Gender Studies||9|
|MATH 110||QUANTITATIVE LITERACY (or above) 3||3|
|Non-Western course (can be used for Humanities or Social Sciences general education requirements)||3|
|RU mission-related course 2|
|LIBS 201||WRITING SOCIAL JUSTICE||3|
|One biological science and one physical science required (at least one must be a four-hour lab (not applicable for science majors)||7-8|
|Select 9 credits from the following subject areas: African-American Studies, Anthropology, Economics, History, Journalism, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology and Women's and Gender Studies||9|
|Total Credit Hours||49-50|
Required for students who enter RU with fewer than 12 credit hours
Minimum grade of C- required
Math, Computer Science & Technology, and Science majors have different requirements--see advisor
These quantitative requirements also apply to degrees in the College of Arts and Sciences:
- Students may apply no more than 60 credit hours of 100-level courses toward the degree.
- Students must apply no fewer than 60 credit hours of 200- and 300-level courses toward the degree.
- Students must have at least 18 credit hours (of the 60 credit hours above) at the 300 level.
- Students may transfer in no more than 66 credit hours from community colleges.
- Students must take their final 30 hours at Roosevelt University. Note that some majors have additional requirements for RU hours.
- Students must have a grade point average of 2.0 or higher to graduate. Note that some majors have additional GPA requirements.
- Students must have a minimum of 90 hours in Arts and Sciences.
- Students may apply no more than 51 hours in the major (BA) or 57 hours in the major (BS)