Other grievances

Procedures for handling student concerns other than final grade appeals

If a student has a concern about a faculty member other than a final grade appeal, the student should first discuss the concern directly with the faculty member. In many cases, the communication of the concern will lead to an improved understanding between the faculty member and the student and result in an immediate adjustment of expectations on the part of one or the other.

If the student is not comfortable speaking with the faculty member directly, he/she may contact the department chair or program director, whoever is responsible for assigning courses and overseeing the faculty for that subject area. For clarity of communication, it is desirable for the student to submit the concern in writing. The department chair or program director will present the concern to the faculty member to verify the facts, hear the faculty member’s point of view, and seek a resolution.

If a student takes a concern about a faculty member to a university official other than the department chair or program director, the official should direct the student to the appropriate person and provide the student with the necessary contact information. The student should be informed that the department chair or program director will speak with the faculty member to hear his/her point of view before a decision is made to resolve the issue.

If the student is not satisfied with the resolution at the department chair/program director level, he/she may appeal the matter to the college dean, who will review the matter with the department chair/program director and decide whether to uphold the proposed resolution or to offer a different resolution. The decision of the dean is final.

Complaints or concerns that are sent to a department chair or program director anonymously will not, in most cases, result in an investigation. However, if a student brings a concern to a department chair or program director and prefers that his/her name remain confidential, this request will be honored when practical. Concerns should be brought to the appropriate person during the academic term when the concern occurred. Students may bring a concern up to 30 days after the conclusion of the course. After 30 days, the concern cannot be reviewed.